Rail industry workers are required by legislation to undergo a Rail Safety Workers medical assessment to manage potential risks posed by the ill health of rail safety workers.
The National Standard for Health Assessment of Rail Safety Workers underpins a system for monitoring the health of rail safety workers and enables a consistent application of health standards across the Australian rail industry.All health assessments conducted by Jobfit for rail safety workers are in line with the Standard.
Under rail safety legislation, rail transport operators are required to manage the risks posed by the ill health of rail safety workers. The responsibility is an essential part of an operator’s rail safety management system, which aims to minimise risks and protect the safety of the public, rail safety workers and their fellow workers, and the environment.
There are three different types of health assessment based on whether the work undertaken is safety critical or non-safety critical. A risk management approach is used to determine which category of health assessment applies to various types of work as follows:
- Category 1: applies to rail safety workers who undertake safety critical work and whose ill health may result in sudden incapacity or collapse leading to a serious incident affecting public safety or the rail network.
- Category 2: applies to rail safety workers who undertake safety critical work where sudden incapacity will not impact on the safety of the public or the rail network.
- Category 3: applies to rail safety workers who undertake non-safety critical work and whose health and fitness does not impact directly on the rail network but who are required to protect their own safety and that of other workers.
Jobfit doctors undertake Rail Safety Worker Health Assessments and are accredited Authorised Health Professionals under the national accreditation scheme, including a Jobfit medical officer who is also an accredited trainer.
Jobfit provides Chief Medical Officer consultancy services to a number of major rail transport operators including:
In addition, Jobfit has been the preferred medical provider of Rail Safety Worker Health Assessments and RailCorp medical assessments for contractors to a number of major rail projects around Australia including:
- Seaford Rail Extension project (SA);
- Regional Rail Link project (VIC); and
- Electrification project (SA).
For more information about Rail Safety Worker Health Assessments, visit the website of the Office of the National Rail Regulator.
To book Rail Safety Worker Health Assessments or RailCorp medical assessments, please contact us.